Northeast Ohio Chapter Certification
1. HFMA Certification Requirement
HFMA’s certification programs enable you to demonstrate a mastery of a variety of topics within the healthcare finance industry.
- Certified Healthcare Financial Professional (CHFP), format revised in 2011
- Fellow of the Healthcare Financial Management Association (FHFMA)
- Advanced Technical Study certificate programs, new in 2011
- Certified Revenue Cycle Representative (CRCR) program, new in 2011
2. Become a Certified Healthcare Financial Professional (CHFP)
Status must be maintained every three years by earning 90 contact hCHFP certification requirements include:
- a minimum of 3-5 years healthcare financial management experience
- current and active regular or advanced HFMA membership*
*Student membership does not qualify
- successful completion of the CHFP certification examination
3. Achieve Fellowship Status (FHFMA)
FHFMA certification requirements include:
- Current CHFP designation
- HFMA member for 5 years
- Bachelor degree or 120 semester hours from an accredited college or university
- Reference from an HFMA Fellow or current elected HFMA chapter officer
4. Maintaining CHFP and FHFMA certifications
HFMA members who have earned either the Certified Healthcare Financial Professional (CHFP) or Fellow of HFMA (FHFMA) designation must maintain their certification by meeting two basic requirements:
- Remain an active HFMA member in good standing
- Complete 90 contact hours in eligible education programs every three years
- At least half (45) of these contact hours must in healthcare finance-related topics
- At least 20 contact hours must be completed in each of the three years
5. Advanced Technical Study Certificate programs
Advanced Technical Study Certificate programs are online educational programs that award a certificate, but not a certification, after completing a program. These programs are not required to achieve or maintain CHFP, FHFMA, or CRCR certifications and do not have maintenance requirements.
- Mastering Patient Financial Services
- Mastering Healthcare Accounting and Finance
- Mastering Managed Care
6. Certified Revenue Cycle Representative
Formerly a credentialed program, the CRCR program has changed to “Certified Revenue Cycle Representative.”.
Requirements for CRCR certification include completing an on-line study course and on-line exam.
Maintenance of the CRCR certification requires completion of an on-line exam every 2 years.
For more information about the HFMA Certification Programs, contact the NEO Chapter Certification Chairs Robert Matitia - (216) 839-6672 x251 or Brian Nestor - (216) 844-7797, or contact the HFMA Certification Department by e-mail to email@example.com or by phone at (800) 252-4362 and ask for Certification.